NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1978 Trans Am - Interior Question  (Read 2438 times)

myhotrodshop

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1978 Trans Am - Interior Question
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:25:22 PM »
Okay we are restoring a 78 TA and they guy bought some seat covers from Year One.  He got the carmine red checker type and I don't think that is the correct type of fabric for that year.  I thought the checker type came out in 80 or 79.  Can anyone verify this for me.  I think he should have the carmine one color style not the checker style.

I have the checker style in my 80 Turbo but those are white and gray.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

79transam

Re: 1978 Trans Am - Interior Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
Hi, I have a 79 Red T/A with the Carmine Red hobnail interior.  I know it is correct for me, not sure if the color was for you.  I recall a cousin 78 Firebird with camel interior do not remember it being the hobnail.

Not sure how serious you are but ::http://www.phs-online.com/ offers a full description on how the car was built.  You will get several books (or photo copied pages) of what was available and a copy of the build sheet. Copy of the invoice and a spec book and a way to order a reproduction of the window stcker.

A bit more pricey than when I did my a few years ago, but a tremendous resoruce if you really need to know.  I am a bit uptight so I got it, just to be sure I know what I have is pretty orginal and not a "fake T/A" or something.

OK, so I was typing and thought about another site I know and have used.  Lots of data here::: http://www.iwaynet.net/~gl&lisk/

That site shows a 78 having dk carmine red as doe skin vinyl or lombardi.  My 79 has lombardy bolsters with the hobnail inserts.  The lombardy is like a cushed velour.. the hobnail is the checker part....

Fact is you never really know and it might have been a custom option or a late in the year order where someone got to select an option before the next model year went into production...???  Could be an interesting piece of info making the car a bit more unique.

Hope this helps....

Also if your looking to move those covers....... ;) LMK 

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1978 Trans Am - Interior Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog