NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1976 Windshield Wiper Switch Function  (Read 4723 times)

phasedreality1

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1976 Windshield Wiper Switch Function
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
On a 1976 Trans Am, how should the windshield wiper switch function when it is hooked up correctly?

1. What should it do when I press in on the button?  I assume this activates the washer pump.
2. What should it do when I click the switch into the first "On" position (in other words, one click from the left).  I assume this is the low speed mode.
3. What should it do when I click the switch into the second "On" position (all the way to the right).  I assume this is the high speed mode.

I'm trying to hook up the wiring correctly and my Haynes electrical diagram doesn't show the motor side of the hookup.  I have an aftermarket harness and do not have the original connectors.  I'd like to know how it's supposed to work so I can figure out if I plugged the wires in correctly.

Thanks!

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: 1976 Windshield Wiper Switch Function
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »
Yes, you are correct on all three counts.  Push does washer fluid, first position is slow, second position is high.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

clayton

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
i am about to try wiring my wipers up on my 79 bird. i have the factory connection and switch im just not sure where to start since im using an aftermarket harness also. i have one wire designated for wipers and it is a hot wire (B+ 12 volts) i have three wires coming from the motor connector and three coming from the switch, im guessing the power wire goes somewhere to the switch that in turn relays power to the motor?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog