NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Performance tips for 80 & 81 Turbo 301's 'STOP HERE'  (Read 19198 times)

Boostshiro

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Performance tips for 80 & 81 Turbo 301's 'STOP HERE'
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:10:59 PM »
Hello,

I post this only out of the love and respect I have for this engine. Those who decide to keep your car turbo pure and don't intend to do the yank it for a bigger Pontiac engine thing. Then this is strictly for you. I've had much success in offering performance advice and upgrades for the 301 turbo in particular. Many of you that I've helped in the past, thank you for your happy email replies. It feels good knowing I helped in some capacity.

No need to YANK, the lies, mis-truths, mis-information and jokes stop here. I've happily wrenched on this engine for over 20 years and have gained much knowledge in what will and can work in regard to obtaining more power. Some upgrades I suggest are very simple and they apply just like your more traditional Pontiac engine.

I'll leave you with this. The 301 turbo was probably the most de-tuned or under tuned engine ever produced. Because of the lack of higher octane back in the day, the factory had to set this engine up real soft in order to keep the owner from blowing it up. Most common octane was 87, this would attribute to the snail like performance straight out ot the factory. The higher the octane the better the turbo performed. Lastly, the detonation sensor was constantly pulling back ignition timing due to engine knock, constantly killing any chance for a good fun ride due to low octane, a chocked up factory exhaust and wuss rear end gears. End of story.

I own an 81 Turbo Nascar, 24 pounds of boost and not one broken rod yet. Nor have I ever broken a crank or rod(s). That puts an end to two of those myths. Need help and/or advice, email me at alegcr@hotmail.com. Serious minded 301 turbo folks only.

Regards,
Boostshiro
I'd much rather Boost than Juice

meexch

Re: Performance tips for 80 & 81 Turbo 301's 'STOP HERE'
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:33:47 PM »
Hi ,
I read your page and it sounds like a turbo guy. I have a complete 301 turbo engine I would like to sell $400 if you're interested. Grand rapids mi.

khaleedo63

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »
Hi
am  not a turbo guy but I had to be cauz I like this Indy pace car. I have bought one with 20K miles only from ebay. It is great but have had probloms with the carborater. it does not start up in the morning. you have have to spray the carb inorder to start, than it is ok. couple of days ago I visited a freind of mine I thought he might have an Idea on turbo engings as he worked for 14years is SAAB dealership. I was surprised to tell me that the turbo is not working properly. Now, since you are a turbo export, what kind or carb could be fixed on my TA( not available in my country nor throhg the net ) to rep;ace the existing one. second how I can fix the turbo, by means what parts the turbo has or can go wrong with. I would appreciate your help. ???
Khalid from QATAR

Hello,

I post this only out of the love and respect I have for this engine. Those who decide to keep your car turbo pure and don't intend to do the yank it for a bigger Pontiac engine thing. Then this is strictly for you. I've had much success in offering performance advice and upgrades for the 301 turbo in particular. Many of you that I've helped in the past, thank you for your happy email replies. It feels good knowing I helped in some capacity.

No need to YANK, the lies, mis-truths, mis-information and jokes stop here. I've happily wrenched on this engine for over 20 years and have gained much knowledge in what will and can work in regard to obtaining more power. Some upgrades I suggest are very simple and they apply just like your more traditional Pontiac engine.

I'll leave you with this. The 301 turbo was probably the most de-tuned or under tuned engine ever produced. Because of the lack of higher octane back in the day, the factory had to set this engine up real soft in order to keep the owner from blowing it up. Most common octane was 87, this would attribute to the snail like performance straight out ot the factory. The higher the octane the better the turbo performed. Lastly, the detonation sensor was constantly pulling back ignition timing due to engine knock, constantly killing any chance for a good fun ride due to low octane, a chocked up factory exhaust and wuss rear end gears. End of story.

I own an 81 Turbo Nascar, 24 pounds of boost and not one broken rod yet. Nor have I ever broken a crank or rod(s). That puts an end to two of those myths. Need help and/or advice, email me at alegcr@hotmail.com. Serious minded 301 turbo folks only.

Regards,
Boostshiro
I'd much rather Boost than Juice

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog