NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: '89 Formula 350 Idle hunting  (Read 3399 times)

Pyotr

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
'89 Formula 350 Idle hunting
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:12:22 AM »
 Been awhile since I've been here. The latest work done is a new coil that replaced an after market performance coil about 6 months ago That time the engine just died as I was starting from a dead stop(Stop sign).
 Things seemed to be okay untill the stalling started. Let me give you the most recent episode. This has happened 3 times in 6 months
I'm in my car in the driveway. About to start it for the 1st time that day. It was a little chilly 50-55 F. I turn the key and it fires up. Take my foot off the gas and it dies right way.Either  this happens  or I would step on the brake and the voltage reading would drop and I'd stall.This went on for a good 15 minutes.Start,stall,Start ,stall... The last attempt,I actually got moving in reverse and after 3 feet everything went dark. Then,I put the car in Park,turn the key and fires up perfectly. I get all my errands done and no real problem since then. Except the idle is hunting around. My brother is my mechanic and he is stumped.He cleaned things up in there.All intakes and filters etc. But couldn't find the problem. I doubt it's fixed because of the idle. It's a little low,around 500 to 600 and it dips under that. I probably haven't explained the problem well enough for a diagnosis but does anyone recognize it? Thanks,Pete

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

'89 Formula 350 Idle hunting
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:12:22 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog