NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Restoration question...  (Read 10104 times)

clayton

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Restoration question...
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:40:15 PM »
I am assuming the 79 trans am i have been working on for almost the past year was a black and gold edition mainly cuz most of the original paint was black and i could spot alot of gold trim in places, and its a 6.6 liter 403.... I just dropped the car off at a paint and body shop and the owner recomended sticking with a neutral color cuz the body needed alot of work and he said that its really hard to get black to look exactly straight. even with major body work....what i want to know is if i would be doing a terrible amount of damage to the value of the vehicle if it actually was a black and gold edition and i decide to go with white for the color?

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: Restoration question...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »
Yes, you will be lowering the value if you change from the original color.  But the more important issue at hand is that if your body and paint guy is telling you to go with another color because he can't make the black look right..... then I would say get your car out of there because you DO NOT want him to paint your car.  A comment like that from a paint place would scare anyone away from there and send them running.  So my suggestion is find another paint shop... one who knows how to paint a car.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

clayton

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:22:35 PM »
Ok I understand what your saying and I even had my own doubts when he told me that but this shop is a reputable paint/restoration shop and i was able to see alot of the cars that he had restored and they were absolutely  flawless. He even reminded me several times during the estimate evaluation that he will not put his name on anything that he would not buy himself and i know he is a collector of classic bmw and jags and other fine european cars as well as american. I want to keep the car black as it was originally but im pretty positive that the previous owner has replaced a panel and maybe both front panels and the nose piece is an aftermarket remake that the owner told me would never fit right and that i should find an original nose to go on that car, to get a better alignment.... Its also going to need a new hood and hopefully i can find one. but he persisted to tell me that a neutral color would be best. i didnt think to ask him why he wouldnt be able to get the body straight enough to be painted black and look fine. i will ask this question this saturday when i go to talk to him about other things.... but i also know that doing a color change from the original color is more work than if you kept the same color, as far as the painting goes......So i guess i need to talk to the owner and find out why he wouldnt be able to get the body in good enough shape to go with black? I have been shopping around for a decent body shop for quite some time now so i dont want to have to take my car elsewhere...this place is the only  place that would even look at the car and give me a guaranteed paint and body restoration that was somewhat near my pricerange.....

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
It just really worries me when a paint shop tells you to change the color because they can't paint it black.  That to me screams "inexperience" all the way.  I don't know what your price range is or where you are located, but maybe I can help find a reputable shop that can do it for you the right way.... Black.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:29:38 AM »
I agree with everyone else.  If they won't paint it the color YOU want, get it out of there...nevermind whether or not they don't want to paint it black because of its "straightness".  Also, don't look at the cars that he's JUST finished...find some of his old customers and talk to them and look at their cars.  If the cars look awful after two or three years, that's a BIG red flag.

Ask him for references.  He should be more than willing to let you have them and understand that this is the biggest single investment in YOUR CAR.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

clayton

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
yes i understand, the thing that didnt deter me is the fact that this place has been in business for over 25 years and i looked through alot of the portfolios of the previous projects of cars that were in much worse condition than mine (rust damage) and came out looking up to showroom quality....i didnt tell him how much i had to spend untill he gave me the complete estimate on the body work, the paint packages are set prices. and he priced the body work well within my range of 5 to 6 thousand for all exterior paint and body....i told him if its over that ill still do it i just dont want to put more than 8 grand in it if i cant get it out the door for around that.....so basically he priced me at about 6 grand not including the price of a new hood and front nose clip....which ill have to find used ones.....but that estimate puts the body work alone under 2500, thats if he finds no major rust damage under the paint or bondo....and to me that was a great price and i wanted to figure in the price of the highest paint package which was 2399 for alot of paint work and  a lifetime gaurantee on the paint job alone....also he said it wouldnt take longer than a month and a half to have it out the door.... but i told him to call me when the body work is finished and its ready for paint cuz i may just fork out the extra money if i need to, to get other things done before the paint goes on.... but i am pretty confident he will get the body back to great condition for black paint..... it may just cost more to get a better body job... or is that not right?

clayton

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »
also...i forgot, the shop i took the car to has a website. here is the link: http://www.autocosmetic.net/index.html   

and i also forgot to mention that the estimate of 6000 i was given for the paint and body was a high shot of the estimate....so it could be less than that...as long as the integrity of the base metal is good.... check out the website if u care to and let me know what you think.....read about the owner and his experience in the "About Us" column ....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:21:50 PM by clayton »

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
also...i forgot, the shop i took the car to has a website. here is the link: http://www.autocosmetic.net/index.html   

and i also forgot to mention that the estimate of 6000 i was given for the paint and body was a high shot of the estimate....so it could be less than that...as long as the integrity of the base metal is good.... check out the website if u care to and let me know what you think.....read about the owner and his experience in the "About Us" column ....

THIS is what worries me... He left a 67 Firebird IN THE RAIN with the engine EXPOSED...covered only with a cardboard box.  And why would you put on a chrome nose clip BEFORE paint?  Need I say more?  I hope you chose another shop, but if you did use this guy, I hope he does you right. 
http://www.autocosmetic.net/html/restoration_ss2.html

A friend of mine chose a "reputable" painter...he got jerked around with orange peel, fisheyes, and unpainted areas.  He paid for a show-quality job and did NOT get it.  Now the car has to be redone.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

clayton

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
i just brought the car home two days ago and i am very pleased with the quality of the work....the body looks great for how bad the original panels were. even though im sure they werent the originals..... and he even did a few extra things to the car that didnt get tacked on to the budget. like patch a rust hole in my trunk and put bedliner in the trunk....and they did an excellent job of detailing the engine compartment black with 500 degree paint...everything was painted the way it was supposed to be and the paint job has a lifetime warranty as far as peels, spots or bubbles etc...im pleased and with what i payed i feel they exceeded the expectations on this project....

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
As long as YOU are happy and the work is backed by warranty, then it was worth the price. :)

Post pics if you can!!
Bethany

clayton

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:47 AM »
ill definately have some soon...

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:47 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog