NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Why the Y's?  (Read 8098 times)

John3407

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
Why the Y's?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »
Ok fellow enthusiasts, don't hate me, but I am very curious as to the definitions of the different "Y" designations. What do they mean? The only designation I am somewhat familiar with is WS6 in the 4th gen cars. I am just finding out that there were WS6 2nd gens as well and the only thing I know about them is that they had 4 wheel disc brakes. Any one want to increase my TA knowledge? ???

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: Why the Y's?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »
WS6 packages had more handling and performance options.  They had thicker swaybars and stronger, stiffer suspensions to keep them from having extra body roll. 

I think they had some other options, too, but I'm not sure.  Also can't help with the "Y" designations, but I do know the WS6s were really built more for handling performance.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

John3407

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »
So, we are still looking for info on different package designations in Trans Ams. Anyone have a clue? Bueller.....Bueller...?  I see that some of the pictures in the photo gallery have the Y .

John3407

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:35:37 PM »
So I take it that no one has an answer? ???

John3407

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:40:42 PM »
How about W72? Does anyone know what that means?

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »
I found this W72 info by doing an internet search:

Pontiac offered a new high performance engine package for the 400cid motor in the Can Am, Firebird Formula and the Firebird Trans Am. Nicknamed "W72", the T/A 6.6 offered a much higher level of performance than the base 6.6 Litre engine and was capable of low to mid 15 sec quarter mile times at a little over 90 mph in a new Trans Am right off the showroom floor.

L78 400cid Block (engine code Y6 if automatic, WA if manual)
200 Net Horsepower @ 4000 RPM (220 in the 1978/79 Firebirds)
325 Net FT.LBS Torque @ 2200 RPM
6X-4 350cid high compression heads with 91 cc's or 93.74 cc's, depending upon which source you believe!
8.0:1 compression ratio (as rated by the factory, although Pete McCarthy says 8.2:1))
Higher performance camshaft (274 degrees intake with .364 or .374 lift (sources vary)/ 298 degrees exhaust with .407 lift; 55 degree overlap.)
800 cfm Rochester Quadrajet carburetor
Special oil pump, delivering 60psi @ 2600 RPM, which ensured sufficient oil pressure during high RPM use.
Special slotted spring pin main bearing caps instead of the standard solid dowel used on the base 400 engine. These special caps induced less stress during high RPM use.
Special harmonic balancer
Chrome valve covers
"T/A 6.6" shaker scoop decal

As can be seen by the list above, the W72 was much more than just a twenty horsepower increase over the standard 6.6 litre engine. While it was installed in the Can Am in 1977 only, the W72 was available in Firebird models for 1977, 1978 and 1979. Minor variations in engine specifications such as a change to a less restrictive exhaust resulted in an increase to 220 horsepower in 1978 and 1979. Given its more desirable performance features, it's important to make sure that this engine is installed in your car, if it was there originally.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:56:21 PM by firebirdclub »
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

firebirdclub

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »
I also found this "Y" information by doing an Internet search:

The Y82 and Y84 Special Edition (SE) T/A's were fitted with what Pontiac referred to as a Gold Matte Gold bird (E of diagram 2). These are the Black Trans Ams with the Gold pinstriping and German/Gothic style lettering. These cars are commonly referred to as "Bandit" Trans Ams courtesy the Burt Reynolds movie 'Smokey and the Bandit'. The 'Bandit' badge is a consumer applied reference. There was no official 1978 Pontiac option called 'Bandit'.

Don't confuse a black non-SE Trans Am with the Special Edition. Starlight Black was an available exterior paint color for the hardtop non-SE T/A. Such a car would not have received the pinstriping and the bird would have been the standard Gold-Yellow/Orange and not the Gold Matte Gold. The only differences between the Y82 and Y84 cars is that the Y82 was built at the Norwood, Ohio plant and had Hurst T-Tops. The Y84 was built at the Van Nuys, CA plant which used water based paint and the T-Tops were Fisher brand.

Frank
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

John3407

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »
That is an incredible amount of info and much appreciated. I tried googleing the info, but got nowhere. I am sure I won't be the only club member running outside to check their 2nd gen cars for engine codes now.  Thanks Frank! ;D

blue81ta

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
Check this link below:

http://www.78ta.com/special.php
Keith
1981 Trans Am
2001 Firebird

My safe haven from all of life's bs

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
Here's another incredible webpage with LOADS of information.  All your Y questions (and any others!!) answered!
Build Sheet Bingo

And if you're up for some humor (and sad stories, too...), go here and click on "Killed Trans Am Archive"
Killed Trans Am pages
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

John3407

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 12:33:32 PM »
These are great links. Thank you. Would anyone happen to know if and how it would be possible to find the build sheet on my car?

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
The build sheet (assuming it made it into the car  ::)) is going to be most likely under the carpeting.  If it's not under the carpet, it will be under the seats themselves, possibly under the rear seat cushion.  Of course, if you're not tearing your car down to rebuild, I wouldn't advise tearing up the carpet just to get that.  ;D

Glad you found the links helpful!
Bethany

John3407

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Actually, the carpet is the only thing in the interior of the car that does need to be changed. I will keep a look out for the sheet.  I knew being a club member would pay off .  ;D

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
Here are some answers to the "Y" Questions: http://www.78ta.com/special.php

Here is some information on the WS6 for 2nd generation Trans Ams: http://www.78ta.com/ws6.php

Here is some information to the W72 question: http://www.78ta.com/w72.php

Here is some information on the build sheet: http://www.78ta.com/build.php

Now another thing to point out is that some codes were used over and over again for different things in different generations.  So, the Y84 code was for a Special Edition in the 2nd generation.  The Y84 code was used for the Trans Am GTA package in the third generation.  WS6 was used for a suspensionhandling package in the 2nd generation and used for a performance (more than just suspension and handleing) package in the 4th generation.  So depending on what code you were looking for wand what year you are looking at, they may mean different things.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

John3407

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
Another great bunch of information! If the weather is nice tomorrow, I may be doing some build sheet hunting. I also just placed an order for interior parts from Classic Industries so I can start replacing things like the center console box and lid, the seat belt guides etc...

Anyone have suggestions as to the best way to prep these items for paint? They all came in black.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog