NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 79 trans am 403 oil quantity?  (Read 8783 times)

clayton

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
79 trans am 403 oil quantity?
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
How many quarts of oil goes into the 79 403 big block motor? or where can i find the exact number? and whats a good grade of oil to go with on a newly rebuilt motor with no miles.

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: 79 trans am 403 oil quantity?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
The 403 will hold 5 quarts total.

The 403 Olds is a small block, it shares the same crank as the 350. The 400,425,and 455 Olds were big blocks, the heads will physically bolt on, but the decks are taller and the bottom ends are built heavier. Easy way to tell big Olds from small Olds is the head casting code. It will be on the end of the head near the exhaust port. Small blocks have numbers, or numbers with letters, such as 4A on a 403, while big blocks have letters only, such as A,B,C,E,J. The first four big block codes are small chamber high compression heads, while the J is the low compression smog era head. Most common are C and E for the high compression heads.

A quick way to get higher compression with a 403 is a set of 1969 350 heads, they have smaller valves but also smaller chambers. A bit of port work and larger valves and they make an impressive iron head on the 403. With those heads you will probably have trouble running pump gas though.

Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 79 trans am 403 oil quantity?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog