NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Cowl tag decode  (Read 14129 times)

71formula400

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Cowl tag decode
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
I purchased a 1978 TransAm that has a special edition emblem on the front fenders. I have researched in some books that the special edition came in gold or black only and this car decodes as a cameo white. The cowl tag first line indicates: ST 78  2FS87L  206864. The 2FS87L decodes as a base firebird, but the VIN has the "W" for a Trans Am. It was built at the Van Nuys plant. Two questions:1) Did the special edition come in white? 2) Why is there a difference in the cowl tag and the vin concerning the model?  Thanks in advance for any help!!!!
Greg Farrow

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: Cowl tag decode
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
I purchased a 1978 TransAm that has a special edition emblem on the front fenders. I have researched in some books that the special edition came in gold or black only and this car decodes as a cameo white. The cowl tag first line indicates: ST 78  2FS87L  206864. The 2FS87L decodes as a base firebird, but the VIN has the "W" for a Trans Am. It was built at the Van Nuys plant. Two questions:1) Did the special edition come in white? 2) Why is there a difference in the cowl tag and the vin concerning the model?  Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

As many "Bandit" replicas as there are, I would be willing to bet that you have one that someone repainted to make look like a Special Edition T/A.  I would actually contact PHS (phs-online.com) and get their information on the car.  That will include the invoice and order sheet and tell you everything you need to know. 
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

4SPEED

• NFTAC Member
  • Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
  • Ohio Firebird Member
  • Firebird or Trans Am informaton: '79 white Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »
http://www.78ta.com/cowl.php

http://www.78ta.com/special.php

no SE cars came in white.  if you had your build sheet, that would tell all. or order the PHS and that will tell you all about your car and even get a copy of the window dealers window sticker

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog