NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1982-1983 Firebird Trans Am bowling ball rims  (Read 4636 times)

KnightriderSD

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1982-1983 Firebird Trans Am bowling ball rims
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any type of locks for the 82-83 bowling ball rims? Everytime I drive my 82 trans am, I am always worried that when I come back to my car that the bowling ball rims will be stolen. And I want to make sure they dont fall off either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Someone gave me some good advice about using zip-ties. But zip-ties can be easily seen and easily cut with scizzors if a thief wants to get the expensive and rare bowling ball rims.

Please help me out.....Thank you

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: 1982-1983 Firebird Trans Am bowling ball rims
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
As a person who knows both the Knight Rider world and the standard Trans Am/Firebird world, I can tell you those rims are only REALLY "rare and valuable" in the Knight Rider world.  These rims pop up on eBay all the time and they're inexpensive.  There are certain people who will sell them at a premium with "Knight Rider Tax".  The black ones come up all the time...the REALLY rare ones are the color-keyed ones that came on the S/E model.

For most purposes, the zip ties are going to work just fine.  If you get black zip ties, they won't be noticeable at all.

Drill two small holes in each lugnut socket and pass the zipties through them.  Or if you're that worried, take the caps off altogether unless you're in a show. 

You can also drill them here closer to the outer edge.

GM had retainer clips, but I'm not sure I'd trust those alone.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1982-1983 Firebird Trans Am bowling ball rims
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog