NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Body and Paint work  (Read 19020 times)

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Body and Paint work
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:19:07 AM »
So, you guys know I bought the 88 GTA a few weeks back, and I LOVE it...not a bad move AT ALL.  Right now, she's in the Body Shop getting a fresh coat of paint, and I've just about gotten everything she needs, including ORIGINAL GTA badges in the Flame Red (used, but not in terrible shape), lower door hinge pin and bushing, new GOLD headlight lettering, new fiberglass spoiler on the way, and a new spindle for the passenger side. (More on that in a moment)

The teardown is just beginning.  When I bought her, I *thought* she was already Flame Red, but only a shade off.  Boy, was I wrong!!  I have never seen such a shoddy paint job as what she had on her.  The shop she's in now, I have every confidence in.  He is a BIG favorite of several Mustang clubs, he does frame-off restorations, and he's known internationally.  The shop is Gibson's Autoworks, and the owner is Frank Gibson.  He SHOULD be at Firebird Fest of the Carolinas should any of you care to come.   :)  ;)  (Read the webpage...it'll be worth your trip!)

So, here's how she stands now...poor girl looks pitiful, but I know it will be worth the heartache in the end.

The "before" image...

And how she stands today.  LOOK at the color difference!!

NO Badges

NO lights or spoiler (that looks ODD to me!)

Of course, when she's done, she will be Flame Red Metallic again.  Frank got the paint code from GM, so I know it will be RIGHT.  BUT, she will have my own personal touch.  The lettering on the back, here...(like the plate??  ;D)

...will be painted the same color gold as the GTA wheels.  So, it will look a little bit like this...(VERY rough mock-up)

What do you think? :)  I'll post pics as we go along.

As for the spindle, apparently the car was in an unreported accident.  The hood needs to be re-worked, and the left headlight's been replaced (but yet, still doesn't work!).  The relays are shot, I think.  They work intermittently, but less and less often, and down is never a problem.  Anyway, the pass side front spindle is bent...you can't even get your index finger between the wheel and the tie-rod.  :-\  So, we're off and running. 

BTW, how do you deal with WITHDRAWAL!?!?!  :o
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
Re: Body and Paint work
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
So far, so good...Only one place of rot, in the usual place.  Under the ground effects on driver's quarter...  The shop is sanding the paint off by hand rather than chemical stripping or bead blast.  This is about 3 days' worth of work.

A closer look...

Slow progress, but she's coming along.  I'm pretty pleased with how things are coming.  Fender wells are clean, too, which is nice.  This girl will never see another drop of rain if I can help it!  Thanks for lookin'!
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:41:13 PM »
Looks like its coming along nice. Thanks for the updates!
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »
More progress!  The bumper is finished in primer, waiting to be painted...

Workin' hard on the car!  Got the nose clip off while I was there...

And LOOK!!!  We found her finish date from the factory!!  How cool is that?! ;D

And under the nose, that's Travis.  He's doing all the body work.  He won't be the sprayer, though...

Bethany

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »
...and the beat goes on...

Man, are they COOKIN' on this girl!!  I went over today and the hood was off for chemical stripping (they didn't want to warp it with sanding!).  All but one fender was in DP primer, and he was almost done stripping the hood.  The A-Arms that I ordered from Hawks on Wed afternoon were already there at 11:30 this morning!   :shock:

Next week, they'll start working out dings and dents, then the primer will go on.  Man, I am excited now because the end is in sight.  The biggest piece of body work is going to be that rust spot in the rear quarter.  That will be the most time-consuming to get done because they have to cut out a pretty decent-sized piece of her. ( :cry: )  I know...it's all for her own good in the end.

Chemical stripping the hood is a NASTY job!

Body filler in the hood...

Taken apart for bodywork.

New A-Arms...Ordered 3:30 on Wed afternoon, arrived Fri morning!

These two are a Ford he just finished spraying.  No polishing yet...just straight from the sprayer, but it's dry.  Now I KNOW I made the right choice!

More pics as we go... :) 
Bethany

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
And so it continues...

The reason for body filler in the hood is revealed...otherwise, it looks pretty good!

Suspension work...it's coming along, but they can't do much on the body till this is finished.

Bethany

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »
More photos!!! You'll be AMAZED at this change!!

Before...

AFTER!!!

More fender work...

The quarter dent is out, though!! YAY! (pre-sanding work)
Bethany

may2009

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
should turn out very nice indeed...looking forward to more pics...and nice touch on the gold highlighted letters you have planned :)

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
should turn out very nice indeed...looking forward to more pics...and nice touch on the gold highlighted letters you have planned :)

Aww...that means a lot, thanks!!!  I wasn't too sure how that would be received among the die-hards in the group.  I have a couple more personalizations planned, like leaving off the door moldings and shaving the antenna.  It will be stock-ish, but still have a few personal touches.

MORE pictures...I stopped by to see her yesterday.  They are really CRACKIN' now.  BIG progress...

Remember that big ripple in the fender?? GONE.

More blocking and sanding...

Right quarter is almost done...

Here's Travis working on the passenger door...

And a gratuitous shot of my 3 y/o in her favorite hat (note the picture on it...)
Bethany

SpankinElroy

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 02:13:06 AM »
Sure thing pal, you're welcome. I really dig the personal touches, the one off's so to speak. My T/A has virtually nothing left that's original and I'm fixin' to take it even further. I really appreciate your attention to detail and the thought you put into things, just to make it your own. I think that's my favorite part of it all, knowing there isn't another one like it on the planet...it's just me and her. It's our 25th this year and seeing projects like yours and the red 79' has helped reignite our flame. My wife and I are only going on our 9th, but she's a keeper too  ;) -- check out my new post on the 76' when you get a chance...and keep on rockin! 8)

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »
Went back today.  Main body work is DONE!

YIPPPEEE!  Windshield comes out next for A-pillar work!
Bethany

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
I have no words... He said they're going to try to lay color on her next Thursday.  I am SO excited!

Bethany

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
I went back today.  More progress after only ONE day!!!

T-bar has been redone...

Water-sanded and washed

Almost ready for PAINT!!
Bethany

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
This will bring you guys out of the woodwork...

A little preview of things to come... :mrgreen:  We're on for 10 am tomorrow to spray the body!

Check out the copper metallics in the sunlight on the jamb...

Bethany

SpankinElroy

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »
Sweeeeeeet Phoenix!!!  Aren't you going to have an awesome 4th of July - you'll be lightin' up the sky from the asphalt. Mine wasn't scheduled for surgery until next week, but the body shop sent me pics of it under the knife today  :) - now I'm ready to see red/copper pixels all over my screen when I check back on ya again...keep up the good work and rest that trigger finger well tonight  ;)

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog