NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: ???? about the 80 turbo trans am indy pace car  (Read 4422 times)

MikeC95

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
???? about the 80 turbo trans am indy pace car
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:11:32 PM »
My wife and I were looking for a 2nd generation TA, she likes the bandits (becasue her uncle had one) and I like either a blue, white or silver TA, I am not that picky but we both were wanting T-tops. I was talking with an older lady from work who is into the car show schene and she said there was an older guy that had a TA that he was thinking of selling. I called him up and I will say this, it is a 1980 Turbo Trans Am Indy Pace Car in dead mint condition. The price is within our budget and even though it was not what we were first looking for, it is  a very sharp looking car.
I know nothing about these turbo's other then they are expensive to repair and even thought this car has nothing wrong with it, I am thinking about the future. What am I getting into as far as this turbo goes. I will not yank out this engine as I will keep it stock, this will be an evening cruise car for us. My hot rodding days are over, time to enjoy the ride.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Mike and Amanda
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:14:51 PM by firebirdclub »

Skid

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Re: ???? about the 80 turbo trans am indy pace car
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »
Mike,

I bought a 1980 Turbo earlier this year and I will share with you what I have learned. I bought my car on eBay from Las Vegas and had it shipped to Des Moines. My disclaimer is I am not a mechanic.

I also wanted to keep my car as stock as possible.

The key is the turbo itself. What kind of oil did the owner use - synthetic - or 10W-40? It is recommended to use the synthetic becasue the turbo itself was not very advanced for the time.

When I received my car, the engine ran rough and made an annoying clicking noise. I took it to a mechanic I trusted. Turns out the turbo was in great shape, but the manifold for the exhaust had many holes causing the clicking noise. The manifold was re-welded and painted and looks new, but it cost me.

I would have a mechanic who understands these cars to look it over. Plan on spending more money on the car to keep it running maybe in the thousands.

Good luck and email me if you want more information,

John
JBriggsual@msn.com

ws6togo

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
  • 2000 WS6 Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:04:48 PM »
Looks good Mike  ;D
'00 Pewter TA WS6 11.78@115.34 1.63 60'
PERFORMANCE: LS6 intake, BG Ram Air, Lid, K&N, MSD 8.5 wires, NGK's, 160*, LS6 heads, Comps 918's/pushrods/ 224/230 .581/.588 114, ported LS6 pump, Rollmaster chain, Dynatech LT's
SUSPENSION: BMR STB/SFC/PHR  UMI LCA's
DRIVETRAIN: rebuilt 4L60E, Yank PT4200, Hayden Trans Cooler, 3.73's, TA girdle
TUNING: EFILive
** 455 HP **
Still needs a tune

80transamguy

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a turbo trans am and that has to be the worse engine they ever came up with. It has no power and you have to change the oil every 3,000 miles or you will kill it. Trust me I know. Needless to say that engine got trashed and I went with a pontiac 400. What a difference.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog