NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1976 Trans Am gets it's 4th wind  (Read 16300 times)

SpankinElroy

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
1976 Trans Am gets it's 4th wind
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:39 AM »
Greetings everyone as I'm happy to finally become a member of this fine group of poncho buffs. I have a little tale to tell and this is how it goes. Here's what I know about this car from Southern Illinois that I bought when I was just a kid. Originally, the car was silver (as the original title indicates) but I believe the hood scoop and fender louvers were red - It seems I remember once years ago seeing one just like that, and in some of the pics you can see red paint on the side louvers. I never knew the original owner, but I did know the guy that wrapped the rear quarter around a telephone pole. It sat for a while before another guy I knew bought, repaired and gave it it's 2nd wind in 1984. I had just graduated high school and that's when I picked it up for $2,000. At the time it looked pretty good, not a spec of rust. The top of the car started showing primer after about a dozen or so trips through the car wash. Blown motor in 86' the same month I made my final payment on it bummed me out to say the least. I Paid a guy $300 to rebuild it as I knew very little about that sort of thing at the time. Drove the car a few more years, then let it sit outside for too long...without the hood scoop. Cylinders had standing water in them when I pulled the heads. By this time I felt confident that I had learned enough about engines to rebuild it along with a fellow poncho buff. We went halves on a cam dialing kit and tore into it. These pics are from 93' when it's 3rd wind began.                           

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: 1976 Trans Am gets it's 4th wind
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »
You have your work cut out for you for sure!!  But it's going to look fantastic when it's done!!!  Good luck...these Birds get forgotten for the 77-79s!
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

SpankinElroy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »
some more pics after work was completed - lasted quite a few years but now it's time for some more -- below is a present day photo of a couple weeks ago before it went off for some beauty treatment  :D ;D

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 08:32:56 AM »
Very nice!!!  Looks good (now you gotta fix that bumper!  ;) ) and it cleaned up pretty nicely!  I can't wait til mine gets out of surgery!
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

SpankinElroy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
Well, here we go. She's lookin' scuffed up and rough, but I keep reminding myself of the beauty that awaits...sorta like my wife at night with that green face mask on...just be patient.

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »
Well, here we go. She's lookin' scuffed up and rough, but I keep reminding myself of the beauty that awaits...sorta like my wife at night with that green face mask on...just be patient.

All us ladies gotta get ugly before we can get pretty again.  You're off to a good start.  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:24:40 PM by ThunderChicken »
Bethany

SpankinElroy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
Getting there....but still in dire need of that front bumper !!!....little help please ?!?!?!

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »
Yikes...I'd help you if I could.  The rest is starting to clean up good, though!!! 
Bethany

SpankinElroy

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »
Finally scored my front bumper - went and picked it up in Chicago this past week-end :D sweeeeet....and the formula hood from California is in so both are being put on this week - hope to be done next week, then off to the custom exhaust shop - also found a local guy who hooked me up on a killer holley rebuild...sweeeeeeet daddy I should be rockin' in a few weeks..

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
OMG!!  That carb turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!  Congrats, man!!  Really can't wait to see it!
Bethany

gorin002

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
so this be other modified bird ?

SpankinElroy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Oh, it be modified all right...there's very little that's original in this car anymore. Engine/tranny/rearend/hood/front-end/interior/wheels/shifter...it's ALL modified, aftermarket or came from another vehicle...I think the only thing original is in VIN - and oh, body shop called Friday - QA guy rejected it for some bodywork reasons...better he catch it than I...I'm glad they have a guy with 30+ yrs restoration experience that has the final say in whether or not it's ready to go out the door...patience is a virtue... :P

SpankinElroy

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
ahhh...the new formula hood is in place...hopefully not long now

gorin002

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Does that mean it is, I apologize, a rice bird with a Japanese engine or a Firebird with lot of noise or just a fast Firebird as I am an older guy who thinks it should be quiet and you should not hear the motor.

The youth of today like extreme loud noise or tractor sound.

How is the update?  Any more pictures?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:29:11 AM by firebirdclub »

SpankinElroy

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
What in God's name are you talking about? I will respond to intelligent comments and questions that are submitted in English ...not jibberish and random pounding about the keyboard...and WTF is "and as here goes doe that mean its i appoldges rice bird" supposed to mean?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog