NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1976 Trans Am gets it's 4th wind  (Read 16354 times)

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: 1976 Trans Am gets it's 4th wind
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 03:24:03 AM »
Alberto Gorin is from the Netherlands and does not speak or write English well but he tries.  He is one of our most loyal members with having many Firebirds and Trans Am and attends shows all over Europe.  I try to correct his spelling when I can.

Frank
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

gorin002

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
What in God's name are you talking about? I will respond to intelligent comments and questions that are submitted in English ...not jibberish and random pounding about the keyboard...and WTF is "and as here goes doe that mean its i appoldges rice bird" supposed to mean?

Let me explain that most American cars here make a lot of noise like a tractor sounds.
or have to large wheels. so you said engine is all modifed.
I thought of rice car (Japanese). If i have offend you it is because I am not technical when it comes to engines.  I apologize.
I should have ask how you modifed it.

I remember my time I was in 1988 ride with Iroc-z and there was no sound.  It was quiet
just feel Gforce

alberto
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:34:51 PM by firebirdclub »

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
What in God's name are you talking about? I will respond to intelligent comments and questions that are submitted in English ...not jibberish and random pounding about the keyboard...and WTF is "and as here goes doe that mean its i appoldges rice bird" supposed to mean?

I think he's trying to determine if you've put a foreign engine in your Trans Am or a "fart can" exhaust.  I don't think he quite understands "modified" to be a torqued-up, high-horsepower engine.  They don't have that capability in some places.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

gorin002

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 01:18:41 AM »

I think he's trying to determine if you've put a foreign engine in your Trans Am or a "fart can" exhaust.  I don't think he quite understands "modified" to be a torqued-up, high-horsepower engine.  They don't have that capability in some places.

Maybe i made wrong conclusion. Just because it is modifeed does not mean it is a rice car.
Here they appear most with loud engines and huge wheels.
i should have asked what are the modifications.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:26:33 AM by firebirdclub »

SpankinElroy

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »
Ah haaa...I understand. No problem, as anyone that has a stable of Firebirds as Frank mentioned has my utmost respect...and envy ;D - Engine is still a Pontiac 400, but from a 74' Grand Prix - race cam, forged pistons etc. - A Ram 3,000 pound clutch/pressure plate and an inline shifter deliver the HP through the 4-speed gearbox to the 4.11 posi-trak rear end. It's a fairly difficult car to drive given that set-up, but a whoooole lotta fun :D - I'll be getting new dual exhaust with an "X" pipe in the middle in a couple of weeks. To my knowlege, this is all good ol' made in the USA...NO Jap Crap thank you very much  :P - I appreciate your interest and would love to see some pics of your collection...take care, Brad.

gorin002

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing a full restored Trans Am.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:58:04 PM by firebirdclub »

gorin002

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
My dream is still a black golden Trans Am GTA!
or a black 1992 formula.
i am dreaming dreaming.someday i hope to have it
right now we have a little garage for 1 small compact car corsa 1.4 cdx
i refuse take here to clunker car program am proud sticker opel G.M

may i ask this this be race car or as they mean the looks
will interior be same or modified.

:) god bless america
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:40:09 AM by gorin002 »

SpankinElroy

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed that every time your car goes into the shop and they raise it up on the lift that you hear that same familiar tune?.....Money Money Money Mon-eyyyy....Mon-eeeyyy...I don't like that song...gettin' kinda tired of it

gorin002

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
 ;D hahahahahahah

Maybe you can call ACORN ask how to get your car into the shop without paying money :D kiddingggggg

I know here goes we worked so many hours on the car. Then get the paperwork which says the part is 50 dollars.

We replaced this bolt, that bolt, this bolt.  We changed this and that with tax you fall down so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:08:26 PM by firebirdclub »

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
That's precisely why I'm becoming an Auto Tech.   ::)  I'm tired of paying someone ELSE to work on my car.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
Its challenging to work on your own car after working on minivans and econoboxes all day at work.  Even though I went to school, was ASE Master tech qualified, and owned/ran a shop for a few years, I decided not to work on cars for a living. Its better for me as a hobby than needing it to survive. I get more stuff done on my old cars that way. I am not you however, and what works best for me might not be best for you.

That being said, its awesome that you want to learn to do it yourself, and the best part is you can find a job or start a shop almost anywhere once you have the knowledge. Even if you dont do it for a living, it can save you a ton of money not having to pay someone to change a ball joint, replace a starter, rebuild a transmission, or paint your car. There is a shortage of qualified techs, and the really good ones are hard to come by.

Owning an old car is very expensive for those who wont learn to fix it, or cant do repairs themselves due to laws and regulations. The more you can do with your own two hands, the cheaper you can build an awesome ride. Getting dirty is half the fun of owning something 30+ years old, and there are few feelings better than seeing what you have built in its finished form.
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
You're right...this was incredibly satisfying.  ;D

Bethany

gorin002

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »
only i do is washing and waxing

SpankinElroy

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
No doubt about it, doing the work yourself is soooo much better. The saving $$$ is nice, but just the smell of being under the hood (Insert Tim Taylor Tool Time grunt here) and the pride of what you accomplished always makes it worthwhile. For me, it's the regulations thing. We live in an apt. complex, and absolutely NO working on vehicles. Now, that's not to say some don't do it and get away with it, buy my wife is the assistant manager and she doesn't need any grief from me setting a bad example....plus, part of her salary is our not paying rent  :D -- so, ya take the good with the bad I reckon. This started out as body/paint project, of which I have NO skills/tools/facilities so I expected to pay that part. It's the once I got into the "while you're at it" thing... could ya fix the popping out of 4th gear problem? - parts/labor a grand...then a pair of air shocks should finish it off...maybe some new exhaust - Instead, it was leaf springs/shackles/bushings/brackets/hardware...AND shocks anyway, another grand...and then some, cause it ain't done yet. Man, I sure hope the next time I'm typing on here it's to tell you what a perfect cruise I just had and don't regret one cent that I spent  ::)

SpankinElroy

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »
Well, so much for hoping that this would be telling you about my perfect cruise  >:( -- I drove it in to work today and put it up on the lift which is right behind my desk in the R&D garage (how sweet is that ?!?!) - The engine purred flawlessly and my in-line shifter/4-speed Muncie combo was like a hot fudge power sundae after driving the ZX2 and Ranger all winter. I was showing off my new custom x-pipe exhaust when we got to looking at the front end bushings... er, rather squashed, dried-out cracked mushrooms I should say coupled with a few rusted out holes in the floorboard. Put the wheel adapters/targets on and fired up the aligner...RF camber was out 2.5 degrees and the LF 1.5  :o - ...shopping for a front end rebuild kit as I type. There goes that song again.... :-\

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog